Mary Spath, Ph.D., CNS, CNE, RN
Phone: 260.399.7700, ext. 8532
- Doctor of Philosophy – Indiana University School of Nursing, 2009
- Master of Science in Nursing – Southern Illinois University, 1995
- Certified Nurse Educator
- Clinical Nurse Specialist with medical-surgical with hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplant (BMT) expertise
- Clinical Nurse Specialist with psychiatric mental health expertise
Awards and Recognitions
- Emily Holmquist Award – Indiana University School of Nursing, 2007
- National Research Service Award – National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health (NINR/NIH), 2007-2010
- National Research Indiana University Pre-Doctoral Fellowship National Research – NINR/NIH, 2005-2006
- Oncology Nursing Society (ONS)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Spath, M.L., Fife, B.L., Monahan, P.O., Decker, C.L., Austin, J.K., Abonour, R., & Wood, L.L. (2013). Children’s emotional adaptation to parental BMT. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 48, 135-140. doi: 10.1038/bmt.2012.93
- Blauvelt, M., Erickson, C., Davenport, N., & Spath, M. (2011). Say yes to peer review: A collaborative approach to faculty development. Nurse Educator, 37(3), 126-131.
- Spath, M.L., Godfrey, J., Taylor, A., & Bell, L.G. (2011). Promoting interdisciplinary care of patients and their families: A classroom project. Nurse Educator, 36(4), 175-178.
- Davenport, N., Spath, M.L., & Blauvelt, M. (2009). A step-by-step approach to curriculum review. Nurse Educator, 34(4), 181-185.
- Blauvelt, M. & Spath, M.L. (2008). Passing the torch: The faculty mentoring program at one school of Nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives, 29(1), 29-33.
- Spath, M.L. (2007). Children facing a family member’s serious illness: A review of interventional studies. International Journal of Nursing Research, 44, 834-844.
- Spath, M.L. (2007). A need for clarity: Scholarship, scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning. Nursing Education Perspectives, 28(5), 235-236.
- Spath, M.L. (2007). Continued Controversies: Issues in Mental Health Research and Implications for Nursing. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Assoc., 13(4), 221-229
- “Findings from child participants from the ACS funded study: Family Adaptation to Parental Bone Marrow Transplantation” (ACS#RSGBP-05-012-01-CPPB) – presented to the medical and nursing staff at IU Medical Center; January 18, 2011, Indianapolis, Ind.
- “The Impact of the Family on Child Adaptation to Parental BMT: A Longitudinal Analysis” – Congress for the Advancement of Nursing Science, sponsored by the American Academy of Nursing; September 29, 2010 , Washington, D.C.
- “Impact of the Family on Children’s Adaptation to the Acute Phase of Parental Bone Marrow Transplantation,” with C. Decker and B. Fife – accepted and presented at 33rd Annual Midwest Nursing Research Conference; March 27-30, 2009, Minneapolis, Minn.
- “Passing the Torch: A Faculty Mentoring Program,” with M. Blauvelt – Chicago Institute of Nursing Education, Saint Xavier University; June 26, 2008, Chicago, Ill.
- “Passing the Torch: A Faculty Mentoring Program,” with M. Blauvelt – Educating for Change, sponsored by Drexel University Nursing Education Institute; June 5, 2009, Arlington, Va.
- “Family Impact on Children’s Adaptation to Parental BMT,” with C. Decker & B. Fife – poster accepted and presented at National Cancer Survivorship Conference, sponsored by NIH and American Cancer Society; June 2008 , Atlanta, Ga.
- “Communication with Families in Healthcare Transitions: Difficulties when Transitions are Fraught with Ethical Concerns based on Conflicting Values,” with A. Taylor and L.G. Bell – poster accepted and presented at International Conference of Communication in Healthcare; October 2007, Charleston, S.C.
- “A Brief Family Intervention to Promote Adaptation to the Stress of Parental Bone Marrow Transplantation,” co-investigator – Indiana University Indianapolis School of Nursing, sponsored and funded by the NINR/NIH; July 1, 2010-July 1, 2012
- Co-Investigator: “Adaptation of Families to Bone Marrow Transplant,” co-investigator – Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis School of Nursing, sponsored and funded by American Cancer Society
- Assistant Research Scientist – Indiana University School of Nursing
- Interfaith Hospitality Network – executive board member
- Plymouth Congregational Church of Fort Wayne, United Church of Christ – Education Board